Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Mother Hubbard

     I have to show you how serious my overflow of Hubbard squash is.
       I've been chopping up that Hubbard squash today.  It's been tough going.  *grin*  It's not that it's really all that hard, it's just that it seems to be a never ending job!    I took the seeds out and washed the sliminess off of them.  I put them into a pyrex pie pan and threw in about a tablespoon of butter.  I sprinkled on a bit of salt as well.  Then, I popped them into the oven at about 350* for fifteen minutes or so.  These squash seeds are a bit plumper than I remember pumpkin seeds being.  It's more worth the trouble of opening the seed to get out the meat.  Of course, I think some people just eat the seeds, shell and all.  I can't handle that though.
     As you can possibly see in the first photo, I made some squash soup today.  I cut the squash up into chunks and boiled it till it was soft.  Then, I mashed it up and poured in about a cup and a half of milk.  I added some pumpkin pie spice and a bit of salt.  If I'd had cream or even sour cream, I would have added that instead of the milk, but I didn't.   
     Did you notice the two pans full of cubed squash?  I'm going to boil them up and freeze them.  I do love squash, but I'm telling you, I've had a LOT of squash lately.  All things in moderation means you can't live off of just squash for too long.  (even if you DO love squash)  The square pyrex pan full of little cubes is in the oven right now as I type.  I poured a bit of olive oil over it and sprinkled on some salt free spice.  I think it has garlic and onion powders and parsley.  I stirred it up and popped it in the oven for a while.  I'd better go and stir that.  Mmmm.  When I took it out to stir it, I snuck a bite.  It's really tasty.  I turned off the oven and put the pan back in for a few more minutes.  
     Now, I don't suppose that you happened to see that there is still a bit of squash to chop.  Yup.  I'm off to chop up the last of the squash.  Good thing I love Hubbard squash! 
YUM! 





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you GROW this amazingly enormous squash? I don't think I've ever seen one in a store. Maybe they'll have some at the farmers market I am going to this weekend :)

A Batty Biddy's Blog said...

Pink, Did you find any hubbards a the farmers market?
Sorry it took me so long to reply!